Jump to navigation Jump to search
Section 8 - MEDICATION GUIDELINES
SEDATIVE / HYPNOTICS / ANTIPSYCHOTIC
Diazepam (VALIUM) / Sedative Hypnotic
- It is a skeletal muscle relaxant that reduces tremors, induces amnesia, and reduces the incidence and recurrence of seizures.
- Seizures, Status Epilepticus, premedication prior to cardioversion, acute anxiety states, acute alcohol withdrawal.
- Hypersensitivity to the medication.
- Due to a short half-life of the drug, seizure activity may recur.
- 2 - 20 mg Slow IVP for adults titrated to effect. If no IV access, administer 10 - 20 mg IM up to a total of 2 ml per large muscle injection site or 1 ml per small muscle injection site. Refer to PRACTICE PARAMETER for specific dosages.
- Refer to Handtevy System for pediatric dosage.