Jump to navigation Jump to search
Section 8 - MEDICATION GUIDELINES
Dextrose 50% (D 50W) / Simple Sugar
- Dextrose is a simple sugar that the body can rapidly metabolize while in hypoglycemic states.
- Hypoglycemia, Alcoholism with coma, and Altered Level of Consciousness.
- Draw blood sample or perform finger stick and determine blood sugar level prior to administration.
- Ensure adequate and patent venous access.
- 25 gm IVP AND refer to specific PRACTICE PARAMETER for repeated doses.
- Pediatrics - Dilute D50% to D25% and refer to Handtevy System for pediatric dosage.